Recipe of the month - Healthy Pancakes
Pancake Day may not be 'til March this year, but life's definitely BATTER with pancakes, for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Check out our healthy pancake recipe for some flipping-good fun at home for all the family.
• 50g self-raising flour
• 50g wholemeal or wholegrain flour
• 2 x eggs separated
• 150ml skimmed milk
• Berries, eg strawberries, blueberries
• Low-fat yoghurt
1. Sift the self-raising and wholemeal/wholegrain flour into a bowl (any remaining flour from the sieve can go in too). Add both egg yolks and a splash of milk and then stir into a thick paste. You can add any remaining milk but do it a little at a time to prevent lumps in the batter.
2. Whisk the egg whites separately until they stand up in stiff peaks and then fold them carefully into the batter – try not to squash out all the air.
3. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When hot, pour in enough batter to make a pancake about 10cm across.
4. Cook for just under a minute or until bubbles begin to pop on the surface and the edges begin to look a little dry.
5. Carefully turn the pancake over and cook the other side for a similar time.
6. Add your favourite healthy snacks – we recommend blueberries and strawberries with a little low-fat fromage frais!